Here's a riddle that I'd like you to think about, there are no trick answers, and no right or wrong answers, just answers in their entirty.
You're captured at the age of 16 are temporarily placed in a room with white walls, a constant dripping faucet in a white sink, a chess board with all white pieces. You have to survive 3 months in that room until released. There are no exits other than the sealed white door in front of you. What would you do to survive?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Zummo,
This is one good riddle because I can't even think of an answer to that. First of all, I don't know when I would be placed in a white room with a dripping faucet and a chessboard. To be honest, I can't even take an educated guess.
This is a crazy situation! Okay first off the water is in constant supply so with water alone I could survive quite a while. Without out food not sure how long i could live off of my body fat, so that is questionable.
The thing that gets me is the chess board, and just white pieces. I thought about plugging the sink with the pieces, but that would be contaimenated water after a while, just sitting there not moving, so that doesn't make sense.
It's actually really hard to say. The first thing that him me was the fact that everything was white. Now, I'm going to save the analysis for another time and just answer the question. First of all, Hellen Keller was both blind and deaf. Of course, Helen Keller was used to living sans sight and sans hearing. This factor takes away from the annoyance of a leaky faucet and the insanity of being in a colorless room for 3 months. Of course, Helen Keller was used to such a disability. She was not conditioned to these particular senses and therefore would not be as affected by them as, say, I might be (simply because I'm used to hearing and used to seeing). Still if theoretically Helen Keller could do it, we might be able to as well. The discussion could lead to several different routes, both edifying and counteracting my point, but I'm not going to start. Anyway, I think maybe because I would be used to varied sights and sounds, not constant white and incessant water drops, I just might go insane in that room. What are chess pieces made out of? Well, hopefully I could eat those. But then I'd have nothing to entertain myself with. No one to talk to but myself. If I talk to myself I'll probably end up going insane. But then, if I'm quiet I might also end up going insane because I'll be thinking too much. I don't know. I just find it fascinating that perhaps it's innate for us to survive on our own in situations such as this. Like Helen Keller. But, because we are used to being provided, we can't make it on our own. I mean, perhaps three months is a bit long, for anyone, void of food, oxygen and necessary disposals for waste. Still, given a week, most people probably wouldn't be able to survive. Good question though.
Post a Comment