Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I Can't Sleep....

I read Cate's blog today in "Free Write" and it really made me think about a lot. Her blog spoke about how people were so nice during the hollidays. I told her because it's a time when people are so excited and gay about the fact that their religion is actually giving back to them.

(Those who are religous, cautiously read ahead.)

Religion, something I have no belief in. When i was young, i prayed to God just about every night. The more i prayed, the worse my non-self-controllable situations got. If God were real, wouldn't he help those who need it most? Was God there in the hollocaust when twelve million of his "creations" were tortured and burned to death in concentration camps? Where is God in Darfur where millions are becoming killed every year. I'm not saying God doesnt exist, I'm just saying that i dont think he's as great and hyped up to be all he is to be. He's a good figure to encourage the billions of people on this Earth to obey Commandments and the bible and to live a "proper life".

So now December has come. As we prepare to celebrate the birth of our holy God's son, "Jesus Christ". In order to do so we need to buy gifts in order to manipulate children to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

So far in all this celebration, two people in this country have been killed and another shot. The irony in shooting another person in the celebration of the birth of Gods son...is outragous.

I'm not the Grinch, for I too celebrate Christmas, but the way people celebrate it has completely dimished the pupose of the holliday.

I've answered my own question. God doesnt answer my prayers because he knows i might go out and kill another person while being in the spirit of celebrating his son's birthday. God might of just given up. I'm just as unpredictable as any, why help me? Why help you? We just might disappoint him just as much as the next person.

Reactions? Thoughts? Comments?

2 comments:

isaacswrit10392 said...

I'll start off by saying that I do believe in God. Not because I was conditioned to beieve in him. Not because i was grown on the belief that God will always be there for me. And not because "the government established such a supernatural figure to coax citizens into conforming and complying." To say that God does not help those in need is a base argument. Yes, the Holocaust was a tragedy, likewise the Darfur genocide a terrible occurence. Yet have you considered the miracles that have also made manifest on this earth? Or do you attribute those to the "kindness of man" solely.

We were not created as sinners, we became sinners. The murders that you claim to be "celebrations" of Jesus birthday, are wrongly titled. They are not celebrating anything, it's just the rise of the notion that men are disposable. The true "Christmas celebration" and your profession that these holiday deaths are other's way of celebrating are two completely different ideas.

The idea that we "need to buy gifts in order to manipulate children to celebrate the birth of Jesus" is an interesting one. In fourth grade I composed an essay regarding the meaning of Christmas. Perhaps corporations provided the idea of gift to do just as you said. I didn't know the credibility of that then and i don't know now. But as a fourth grader I believed that we give gifts at Christmas to symbolize the same act of God giving His only son to us to eventually die on the cross. I never got caught up in the idea of gifts, however. Christmas was a celebration of family, life, and God's sacrifice.

The last thing I'm going to comment on is your last paragraph wherein you noted your realization as to why God has not responded to your prayers. I've learned, as many (even those in trying times) have learned that God responds in three different ways:

"Wait" - God feels that now is not the right time for that

"Yes" - God will make it happen right away

"No" - God has something better in store for you

I've posted one of my blogs the idea that "we often hold onto something that God is trying to tear apart." Think about that.

Still, I respect your beliefs.

Carlos said...

God created us with the ability to think and rationalize and I think that's why he doesn't intervene in situations like the Holocaust or Darfur. That's the only way society can learn and grow. If we had the ability to create the whole world we live in with our own hands, I think it would be stupid for God to stop us when we are doing something wrong. It's like he is taking care for our errors. I like to think of him as a father that let his children live on their own but still caring for them and watching over them.